Issues with DFS; can’t browse a linked share (XP SP2?)

I always wanted to implement DFS in my little domain at home.

Every time I tried something didn’t work and I was in no mood to dig after what was wrong. I was adding links and even though I was being able to see the DFS root and the shares that I linked I was getting access denied or whatever.

Until approximately a month ago when I said: Enough! I have to find out what the problem is. You really have to try hard to find this one out or maybe I’m not that good with terms for searching. Anyway, this is it:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-246242.php

excerpt:

Re: XP SP2 and DFS link to local share


As a follow up,
I don’t have IPv6 installed here, so that shouldn’t be the issue.
After I posted originally I saw MS had released this article relating to the
first hotfix for SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884020/en-us
The article states that SP2 changed the way it handles the loopback range
(127.0.0.0/8) in that it now only allows connections to 127.0.0.1. Apparently
this doesn’t apply to ICMP as I can still ping any address in the range and
get a response from 127.0.0.1.
This range is almost certainly used when accessing the local host through
DFS, but I am unable to determine if it’s using 127.0.0.1 or something else.
The only thing I have to confirm the loopback usage is a repeatable (by
trying to access the share through dfs) eventlog error (systemlog – 3019 from
MRxSMB) saying "the redirector failed to determine the connection type",
which makes sense since there is no auto-negotation by the loopback device.
Unfortunately I havent been able to find anything (free) I can use to sniff
the loopback traffic since it’s a pseudo device. All the traffic that
actually hits the wire looks okay.
I’d try the aforementioned hotfix, but I’d rather have my users cope with
the immense burden of having to access the local folder some other way.

….

Good news,

I found a thread from a few days ago on
microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs about this same issue. The suggested
solution was to add a value (REG_DWORD) named "EnableDfsLoopbackTargets" to
HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Mup/Parameters and set it to 1
.

I tried this and it worked (reboot required).

Bottom line: it seems it’s a manifestation of XP SP2 security improvements and can be fixed by adjusting the registry a bit. Just follow the last paragraph above. DFS worth it!

Happy New Year!

Advertisements

MS SQL: Database attaches as read-only and ALTER DATABASE statement fails.

I just reinstalled my MS SQL 2000 and I was reattaching my databases.

The first one I tried, attached as read-only. That seemed already suspect. However, I thought it is just a default way of setting it in some situations upon attaching and it just happened to be in that situation. Never mind, right click on the database, properties, options, remove the checkmark for the Read-only setting and apply,  will fix it, I believed. Wrong! When I tried to apply it I immediately received:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
——————————

Alter failed for Database ‘database1’.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.3042.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Alter+Database&LinkId=20476

——————————
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.ConnectionInfo)

——————————

Device activation error. The physical file name ‘E:\SQL_Storage\database1.mdf’ may be incorrect.
Device activation error. The physical file name ‘E:\SQL_Storage\database1_log.ldf’ may be incorrect.
Could not restart database ‘database1’. Reverting back to old status.
ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
Nonqualified transactions are being rolled back. Estimated rollback completion: 100%.
Device activation error. The physical file name ‘E:\SQL_Storage\database1_log.ldf’ may be incorrect. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5105)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=08.00.2039&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=5105&LinkId=20476

I have searched a lot on the Internet but none of the articles helped me. That’s because my problem was not being caused by missing log files or corrupted data files or … many other issues that were being described but rather a NTFS permissions problem.

When I installed the new server I set it up to run under a regular user account "sqlserver" – different from what I was using before. I realized that this account didn’t have any kind of permissions on the data file. As soon as I gave the "sqlserver" account permissions ("full permissions" mind you) the database reattached nicely without the dreaded read-only flag and I have all the control in altering its characteristics.

Hope this will help.